Prediabetes is a real condition where blood sugar levels are high, but still below the type 2 diabetes threshold. Eighty-six million Americans have prediabetes, but most don’t know they have it. There are no clear symptoms until more serious medical complications occur, such as heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.
You may have prediabetes if you:
*Don’t get regular weekly exercise (150 minutes a week)
*Eat sugary, fatty foods or consume sugary drinks
*Are age 45 and older
7 Steps to Take Now
The good news is prediabetes is reversible. Stop prediabetes from becoming diabetes with these seven actions steps, courtesy of Web MD:
- Move more. Becoming more active is one of the best things you can do to make diabetes less likely.
- Lower your weight. Losing just 5 percent body weight can cut your chances of getting diabetes by more than 50 percent.
- See your doctor more often.
- Eat better. Load up on vegetables and add more high-fiber foods.
- Make sleep a priority. Not getting enough sleep regularly makes it harder to lose weight.
- Get support. Pursuing a healthier lifestyle is easier with people who have the same goals.
- Choose and commit. Pledge to do your best most of the time.