If you have recently been hospitalized with pneumonia, the following lifestyle changes should help you transition from the hospital to your home and take control of your condition for better health and wellness.
- Rest often.
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water.
- Prevent reoccurrence of pneumonia by getting a seasonal flu shot and the pneumonia vaccine.
- Maintain a healthy body by not smoking, eating healthy, exercising, and regularly washing your hands.
- Don’t miss your follow-up appointments. Write down any questions or concerns you may have before your appointment and bring them with you. Even though you feel better, your lungs may still be infected. It’s important that your doctor monitor your progress.
- Take your medications as directed by your health care provider. Do not skip any doses. If you stop medication too soon, your lungs may continue to harbor bacteria, which can multiply and cause a relapse of your pneumonia.